We’ve waited patiently while we have watched the progression of human rights expand to other minority and non-mainstream groups. First it was the women’s liberation and the black civil rights movement. Then it was the gay rights movement culminating in the right to marry. We understand that there is much additional work to achieve full acceptance in all of those movements.
But now it is our turn! It is a sad fact that there are groups of people that do not experience rights and protections under the law because that is an entitlement of ALL humans. We demand (because if we politely requested or asked it just wouldn’t happen) the following:
1. Insure trans-inclusive equal rights protection under the law including hate crime protection and non-discrimination on the job, in schools, in medical care, and in housing. Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 add “gender identity” and “sexual orientation” to: It is illegal to discriminate against someone on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, or sex.
2. Pass legislation (like at least seven other countries) that provides the ability to declare oneself as third gender or gender “X” on all legal papers including birth certificates and passports.
3. Pass legislation (like Argentina), whereby any individual can change their legal papers to reflect their gender identity without medical treatment including hormone therapy or sterilization, divorce, or the approval of gatekeepers (doctors, lawyers, or therapists).
4. Remove “Gender Dysphoria” as a mental disorder from the American Psychiatric Association’s DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). Remove “Transsexualism”, “Transvestism”, “Intersex”, and “Gender Identity Disorders” from the UN’s World Health Organization’s ICD (International Classification of Diseases).
5. Stop performing genital “corrective” surgery on infants or children before their gender identity has developed and they are able to choose the course of action (if any) of their own physical body.
6. Provide gender neutral restrooms at all public venues and/or provide protection for any individual that uses the public restroom of their gender identity.
Copyright © 2015 Drake Bear Stephen. Except where acknowledged. www.DrakeInnerprizes.com